Wednesday, July 16, 2008

For jail, this ain't that bad!

I went to jail today. Yep, got picked up, hauled off to the hoosegow, was mug-shotted (and what a mug) and led away to a booth.

My infraction was so bad they arrested my secretary too.

Now, I have to say, I have not been treated like this before. I consider myself laid back and reasonably respectable, but I was treated--actually really well. How I have managed to escape jail this long, I don't know. But, it happened.

This was the Muscular Dystrophy lockup and folks who agree are picked up, photographed, and given a booth at (ok this is really tough) Texas Roadhouse. While I am calling friends and family, they bring me a cheddar burger. Ok, so I am not a high class criminal. This is as close as I want to get to a real jail.

I was surprised by the responses I received. It seemed that when I told my friends I was in jail, they though it was a good thing, and wondered how they could keep me in longer. Such friends as one collects over the years!

My younger brother was the most surprised. I am grateful for that. Sometimes one needs someone to believe in you enough they are amazed that you have landed in the hoosegow. And generous he was in helping me raise my bail.

And then there was my oldest niece. She saw it was me calling and let it go to voice mail.

I think what I learned from this is that in a crisis, never call my niece because I will be dead before she decides to call me back. My younger brother, on the other hand, is always good for a little bail money. These days, that is good to know.

No comments: