Sunday, September 21, 2008

Home Again

Today we found our new home. It was wonderful.

More than anything else, believers need to find a new family of faith when they move to a new location. Nothing else seems to fall into place until that happens. I am not a shopper, but I am one who tries to understand where God wants us to be. This morning it was obvious.

We stopped a young lady in the street and asked her where we needed to go for worship. She was friendly and pointed us to the auditorium. It would have been easier, but this congregation is building a new worship center, and the hurricane has scrambled things a bit, so signs are down and and it was not quickly apparent to me where worship was located.

People greeted us all the way into the sanctuary. We found a place on the side of the building. It is a small building laid out like a cross and we found ourselves sitting at the front of one of the side beams of the cross. I liked what I saw. There was a youth right in front of us getting his electronic drums ready. A man came in with a trombone, another with a trumpet, another with a violin, and then the pianist and organist took their places. The powerpoint came up and people were greeting us as they entered. We felt at home--really at home. Then worship started on time. Those who know me know this is vitally important. It shows respect for those in attendance. Going long is not a problem for me. Starting on time is essential.

However the pastor apologized for the departure from the usual schedule. He needed to update the church on things going on as a result of the hurricane. The next 15 minutes was spent exhorting the church to give more assistance than they had already generously given. Arizona Baptists had been feeding over 5,000 meals a day with their disaster relief unit, and Central Baptist was going to pick up the work on Tuesday. They needed people to help cook and serve. I signed up for supper each day. I am off at 4:30 and would love to get involved.

Then, when all the ministry was taken care of the Minister of Music stepped up to the microphone with his shiny red electric guitar and we stood and began to sing. Folks were glad to be there and they sang with joyful hearts. On we moved from one hymn to chorus to hymn to chorus, everyone seemed to feel God's Spirit and moved with the flow. Anna and I worshiped.

The message was excellent and simple but had direction and purpose. Folks who know me know all of that is important. Hurricanes are bad enough in the world, but blustering wind and pointless stories don't do much for me or I suspect for the saints.

Perhaps the greatest affirmation for me was when the decision time came and we stood to sing congregationally, "The Untitled Hymn." Most folks call it "Come to Jesus." I have listened and wept and prayed through this great song, but today, I got to sing it with everyone else.

Yep, I have found my home. And now, we are really poised to get on with the rest of our lives.

1 comment:

Patty P said...

Hi Mike, Anna, and JD
Yea on finding your new home. (Your previous home misses you) There is nothing like that moment when God speaks with you and you know the choice is the right one.God says, yes this is where you should be. May God continue to bless your transition in your new community.
Love you all
Patty