Sunday, June 21, 2020

The Inexact Science of Fatherhood


Fatherhood is not an exact science. By that I mean there is no training which would prepare a man for fatherhood. Most men might acknowledge the fun part of being a father was sharing in the conception—because men are like that. Everything after can be terrorizing. You can pay for a personal trainer, a golf coach, a martial arts instructor, but you are on your own as a new father. A pregnant wife is a wonder to behold, but living with during the 9 months of gestation not so much. Moods, craving, and tears.

Many men would admit in private they were not prepared for a pregnant wife followed by a baby or two or three. Moods, craving, and worst of all tears. Men can run a fortune 500 company, strategize an aggressive offense again gorilla soldiers, disassemble and reassemble a complex machine, but freeze when given a crying child. Think “deer in headlights.”

There are some lessons I learned raising three boys. Generally though, the solutions came well after the event. In reflection it was like “oh, I should have said/done this!” Now what I have learned looking back is that a child enters the world as the undisputed master of his or her universe. I did not know that. I did not understand that. No one told me it would be this way. I did not understand this tiny child would shift the balance of power in my world in ways nothing or no one else could. It took a while to figure out that fundamental lesson even though there were reoccurring teachable moments throughout the day. For many dads, we were clueless. We thought we could just set aside a couple of minutes because of the new child in the house, perhaps stop by the crib or bed and make funny noises and talk to our newest boarder. How stupid was that?

First, it was the crying which had the force of a King's royal authority. “Stop whatever lesser important thing you are doing and come here!!” The bellowing cry, often with tears, made many a new father panic and attempt to do anything to get them to stop crying. Men have quaked with fear and made ridiculous promises in an attempt to get them to stop crying. “I will buy you a new car when you are 16 if you will just stop crying.” You want to go to Harvard—not a problem, just stop crying. Because, men don't do well with crying. Well except when the team loses an important game. But it is manly to cry then, but a wife, a child shedding tears is the most unnerving horror many men will ever see. And then the man starts down his check list because that is what men do. We have check lists. We make lists and fix things. So, what is not working here? Diaper need changing? Nope baby dry. You hungry? Nope just fed. What is the problem? What am I supposed to do with another life form that won't tell me what is wrong? This lesson is critically important. You no longer have a say regarding what your day will look like. You no longer have autonomy over your check list. You have gone from a master of your domain to a servant of this tyrant child. Yep, that was the first lesson.

I also learned that somehow, the newest member of the household came into the world smarter than me. I can't explain it, because, well, I was supposed to be an adult who could be trusted with great responsibilities. I could think. I could think through a problem. I could work hard enough to provide for the family. Somehow that was not enough. So, at a certain point, I began to learn the wisdom of saying, “Stop that/ pause that/ quit talking and I will get back to you in a few moments. Then I would scamper out of the situation like a squirrel trying to escape a predator. Then I would think—quickly but perhaps no quickly enough. By the time I got back, the situation had changed so my solution was obsolete. It's just that way.

I also learned this new life was subversive and perhaps that was the greatest exercise of power, after the child's mother found her way into the deepest parts of my heart and world. Without any apparent effort, the child would bore into my heart and capture it in ways I did not dream possible. The smile of recognition, the giggle when we played silly simple games. Yep, I was powerless to stop it.

I also learned as my child grew I needed to learn new or different ways of leading and loving this child. I came from a good family and a father who showed his love by his tireless work to provide for our family. Dad didn't talk much as I recall. I knew he was there, I knew he cared deeply about me, but I can't remember us talking much. I don't think his dad talked much to him. So, I asked myself if I wanted to change that in raising my child. I did, because talking says so much to a child. It tells the child, “I see you. I extend my heart to you because you are connected and important to me. It says nothing else is really more important right now than your question, your comment, your need. I hoped it said, Like I see you and love you, Your heavenly Father sees and loves you so much more.” That time and spoken word or words were not always there as perhaps they should have been.

However the inexactness of the science, my sons have done well and moved on to marry and have families of cherished children. They have entered into this inexact science just as their father did. It was after they had married, we brought another son into our family both our home and extended family. Again, because of what happened before in his life, my efforts to move fatherhood a little more down the road has been a stretch. However, I know, this son deserves to be loved, to be kept safe, and to have some hope of a positive future.

Happy Fathers Day to all the men who have waded into this inexact science and become a part of the brotherhood of fathers. You are more important to your child than you will ever know.

Wash your hands, please wear your mask, mind the gap and be kind.



No comments: