Monday, March 16, 2020

I was introduced to the paralyzing experience of anxiety when I was doing Clinical Pastoral Education in my first church. I was assigned to visit the psychiatric Pavilion of what at that time was St John's hospital. On this particular Friday, the Pavilion was almost empty. However, when I returned on Monday, I discovered the Pavilion was at capacity. What had changed? An incident in East Asia involving a military incursion by China into a geographical neighbor had triggered anxiety half a world away.

I mention that because I am certain these days of uncertainty about the Carona Virus called COVID-19 and its unmeasured impact on our world, our nation and our state can create amazing levels of anxiety for all but especially those who are prone to anxiety. It does not help we have come to distrust the media, or the the current administration, and/or leaders in the rest of the world.

Here is what I believe I understand/know. First, I am one of those “at-risk elderly persons” because of both age and an ongoing condition called Type II Diabetes. I also know this COVID-19 has the property of compromising the respiratory function of those who catch the virus which means for many, their survival will depend on hospitalization and the use of respirators. I also know that many, many folks outside the “at risk” group may carry the virus without symptoms. That means they can pass it on not even being aware they carry the virus. So those facts may explain the rush to action that we are seeing around the world. The fact is that in Europe, the United Kingdom, Japan, and the United States we are seeing a significant aging of our populations. Many countries are not having enough babies to offset the aging population.

In all this rush, we may leave incredible anxious people behind. Folks who struggle daily with anxiety, may find their anxieties paralyzing because of so much confusion and so much uncertainty. How many times in your lifetime have you experienced your church closed for services? Most of us never experienced that until now. So, the usual sources of encouragement are not available.

This is what I am doing. First, I choose not to live in fear. It is that simple for me. I have nothing to fear because I believe with all my heart my life is tucked away eternally into the care of God. I also choose to live wisely and not foolishly. I will access my church on the internet because everyone during uncertain times needs the support of the rituals of our faith. Also, I will not be a part of a large crowd, and I will consider some of the options living in Round Rock affords me( like having my groceries delivered or prescriptions delivered), I will read a lot because I never seem to have enough time to read all that I want to read. I will study the Scriptures and I will pray for all those in authority over us. These are the times that test the mettle of leadership and I will pray specifically they are wise and prudent in their actions.

I am also choosing to get out and see clients, but realize there is a risk. However, I must say, as I understand my life, it has been at its best and most rewarding when I have been helping others. It is a calling I have carried since I was a youth. I will be considering moving many clients to video if they are comfortable with that option because I have that capability and the age of my clients means they are more likely to be asymptomatic carriers than to actually get sick with the virus.

If you struggle with anxiety, you might want to touch base with your counselor or find one as the need arises. This inconvenience may last several months, but not forever.

No comments: