Friday, March 6, 2020


Monday, March 2, I turned 70. Now for those living in Texas, you thought the celebration was all about Texas Independence, but it was really about my birthday.

I know though, that except for me and my little world, this milestone is of little consequence. Lots of people, millions of people from around the world turn 70.

I have really never thought about how long I would live, but I realize that at a “certain age”(the go to for doctors about the aches and pains you report) I am closer to the end of my life than the beginning. I don't climb ladders any more not because I can't but because I can't bear to hear my son Tim say, “Dad ( aging parents you know the inflection, they heard it from us when we were their parents and they were teenagers) “What were you thinking?” And, well there is that little fact I know I have no business on a ladder. So now I am like the out of control teenager. Great!! The years have taken a toll on my capacity for balance and it began in my late 50's. I was a mystery in regard to that simple condition.

But I know home is really closer than when I started this journey. Last Sunday evening at church we had a special service with the oldest African American congregation in Round Rock and as old folks are prone to do, it washed over my life with memories. Years and years ago, in Mineral Wells, I inherited a wonderful tradition of pulpit exchange with an African American Church down the street. It was a highlight of my year. And some said, I preached my best when I was speaking to the African American congregation. Today, we would simply say, “I found my people.”

This year was a little different. I sat in my chair alone, because Anna had too much to catch up on and could not be present. For a moment, I thought about what my life would be like coming alone to church again and again because she was not there. I realized what courage many seniors have who make that journey, suffer in silence alone in their pew. That is what some of us older people think about. It could have been one of the reasons I wept through the service. It also could have been music that spoke of a different life where men and women from different backgrounds, races, ethnicities, languages, and customs all unite in worship. I long for that. I genuinely long for that. That's what I loved about some of the services we hosted at Calvary. I remember the time our Hispanic mission, the African American congregation and our church family were together on Sunday evening in worship. I thought I got a glimpse of Heaven.

It is a deep regret of my ministry in the local church that somehow I was unable to invite, encourage, and assimilate believers from all races, backgrounds, culture groups together in the church. The walls were too high, the racial bias too deep and I could never find the right words or behaviors.

So Monday, I turned 70. As I have gotten older, I think I have grown weary of the petty grudges that have kept us fighting among ourselves on God's green earth.

This evening as Anna and I shared our “date night” we met our server at Applebee's and a chance comment opened the door for her to tell us her story. It has been a difficult journey to 23 but she had learned some awesome lessons from her mistakes and exhibited to us patience. In this brief encounter, Anna and I learned of her difficult growing up, her foolish mistakes, her time in jail, her drugs and other stuff, her failed relationships, and now the promise of a better life with a child she was carrying the father of which was still in her life. It all came pouring out when I made the simple observation, “You have amazing patience,” referencing the customers from hell in the next booth. She patiently went through all the ingredients in each dish, the portions, the appearances, the whatever could be asked regarding the menu. She never raised her voice, and she patiently explained, explained, and explained. My compliment opened up her story and I believe one she needed to share. Truth is, we will go back to the restaurant to see her, not so much for the food.

Turning 70, I notice life looks differently: the power of Christlike kindness; the friendly driving that welcomes a driver to come on in to the madness, the awareness we are in some way all trying to get to the same place---home.

So I turned 70 Monday, and for my birthday, I was able to schedule three new veterans for appointments, two folks for video counseling, and one couple for marriage therapy. It could have been one of the greatest birthday's ever.

No comments: