Monday, March 30, 2020

I was on my way home this afternoon after an appointment that didn't work out. Perhaps it was the confusion of arrangements, but I stopped by the HEB closest to our home. I had not been there in about two weeks and was unsure of what I would find. My children don't like for Anna and I to be venturing out to the grocery store because of the crowds. However, I must say that one of my Re Engage nurses at our table sent us a practical, helpful info time about how to not be afraid and not get sick. So Anna and I got most of it listened to and with that knowledge, I ventured out, first to my office and then from there to HEB.
My office was not kind to me. Apparently, technology has taken a dim view of me lately, so I could not get our Zoom meeting scheduled correctly last night so one of the younger men(they are always much younger) at our table took over and what I had sweated hours over, pulled Tim into for his help was done in five minutes. It continued as Tim texted me that he and Mandie were leading a FB prayertime for Cityview and wanted to know if we wanted to join the group today at noon. What is not to commit to, “a prayer time my son and daughter in law are leading, and the opportunity to pray with others if only by FB.” Well, I found the site before the noon start, and noon came and went and went more and finally, Anna left and I went back to look at what other options I had, and sure enough, they were 20 minutes into the prayer time by the time I found them—on FB. Great. Then later today I could not get my pass code to work in order to get me into the building and after that into the office I was to use. The efficient but cool manager of the place explained to me that increasingly their hours were being cut so we would have to be on our own more often without their help. The obvious reality that I somehow had seemed to survive to the ripe old age of whatever, escaped her and I suspect to her I was only a dithering old man.
At HEB, I needed to pick up laundry and prescriptions and a couple of other items. I strolled into the store as if nothing were the slightest amiss. I did not choose a cart because I would have to wipe it down and then my hands which had been in contact with the cart and after all, it was only a few items. The laundry was closed with new hours posted because of the pandemic. I still believe that a heavily starched long sleeved shirt in Texas will allow the jeans to go unnoticed and convey a sense of “professionalism.” That is my “mantra” so don't contradict me.
So unsuccessful at one task I undertook the other. Success and the “10 item or less” check out was quick and uneventful. The employee who oversees that area was nice and cordial. I went to the pharmacy which had recently installed glass shields to keep the staff in—kind of like the cages at the zoo. They said it was to protect everyone, but some of us “really” know what is going on. Those pharmacy folks can be quite frisky. Uneventful in the extreme—well except the clerk picked up my debit card with a tissue and returned it in the same way. I thought of the lepers in the time of Jesus.
So this is my take away. I looked across the faces of my neighbors, some were wearing masks and I saluted them, because it is ok. In fact pretty much everything is ok, IF we understand that we are all in this together. This pandemic may target certain populations but really, it can kill anyone at any time. So we all have reason to be concerned about aging parents, young children, young adults, middle aged adults. We have reason to be cautious, but we have NO reason to be unkind or rude or to allow ourselves to make distinctions that have so recently divided and torn at the heart of this nation. Perhaps I was in prison too long, but I have yet to meet a single person for whom Christ did not die. That death, that sacrifice unnecessary as it was, but given in grace as it was, cuts across all our differences and puts us together at the foot of the cross. All need mercy and grace, all need a savior. Some of us because of the grace of God have understood that and lived our lives differently because of that. Some have, as of yet not heard or understood. But this pandemic as inconvenient as it is, as devastating as it is, as consuming as it is, as economically destructive as it is may be our time, is the believers time to act with uncommon grace, uncommon sacrifice, and the uncommon love from Christ to all peoples—even our neighbors.
Pandemics are not like our TV series where the hero always wins. However, if we run to Christ, share Christ with those who are unsure of their destiny, show kindness to all who are in our path, and act like the believers we say we are, the outcome I assure you will please God.
Be safe, wash your hands, and don't touch your face.

No comments: