Thursday, July 16, 2020

Social Security and the End of Life


Today, I got to call Social Security for the second time this week. The nursing home had received a letter to Mom telling her she needed to contact them immediately because the Nursing Home had sent her check back and they needed to know why.

Social Security is a rather prickly bureaucracy with which I have had the occasion to deal with several times over my hundreds of years of life—well, it just seems that way when you deal with Social Security. You can hear the “sighs” of a fellow struggler when you mention Social Security. Because this was not my first call to Social Security this week and before that in the last few years, I sort of thought I knew what to expect.

Right after we moved to Round Rock, Anna and I were on our way to see Mom in San Angelo when my phone rang. It was one of my medical device suppliers and my insurance had been changed and failed to pay for the supplies. I reassured the person my insurance had not changed and everything would work out. Then I called Medicare. They informed me my insurance had changed and was now handled by a company which did not exist and had not existed since 2013. Needless to say, that took a bit to unravel but eventually everything was back on track until the next year at the same time. Same song, second verse. I pushed back harder. I asked, “How come you don't know with whom I have my insurance when it is with you and you deduct the payment every month?” No good answer.

When we have attempted to talk to Social Security in behalf of our son, James, it is an ordeal. Both the person and the (legal)representative must be in the room and James has to verbalize Anna is helping with this issue and some document must be on file saying the same thing.

So, when I first called with the information about Mom's death, I expected to have to send them some sort of identification explaining who I was. Well, you will be glad to know they really don't care who calls to tell them one of their policy holders is dead. It's all good. They will take that news from anyone.

So, when the letter arrived on Wednesday at the Nursing Home, and I am the Executor of Mom's Estate, my sister-in-law Linda called with a hint of glee in her voice. She and Jim did the hard work of reeling Mom in, taking her cards, and attempting to get her affairs in order for the next stage of her life.

So, I knew I had to call Social Security today. I had a little conversation in my head informed by my track record with them. I expected the person to ask to speak to Mom directly, which of course would be impossible. I was prepared to say, “Well, she cannot come to the phone right now.” To which I expected a typical response(based on previous encounters with SS) “And why can't she come to the phone right now?” At which point I would say, “Because she is DEAD! And strangely enough is not taking calls at this time.” Don't judge me but I was actually looking forward to the call.

Instead I got this really sweet lady Jennifer, who looked up her file and told me they knew she had passed away.(So maybe the government is spying on us after all) I explained the situation(not of her death) but she had died at the end of June which according to the nursing home could mean the July check would have to be returned by law but then would be dispersed to the living heirs. However, Jennifer indicated that would not be the case because—now wait for it, she did not live to the end of the month which would have been Tuesday, June 30th. I am not sure if there is a time when it is alright for the person to die on the last day of the month because for us it was a mote point. I am guessing by the end of the business day. But this is the government after all.

One down and several more to go.
Wash your hands, wear your mask for others, mind the gap and be kind


No comments: