Tuesday, July 28, 2020

What is Truth


Not only have we been treated for a roller coaster ride of troubling conspiracy theories, but we have also lost our moral mooring related to “truth.”

“Truth” is foundational not just for our life with God, but for our lives with each other. Some have noted we are in a “post truth” culture that easily and freely allows for “your truth, or my truth.” What that simply means to me is that “my perception of my situation, my experiences, my values are as valid as yours.” There is literally no “absolute truth.” All truth is relative, and is equally valid from person to person. An extreme example could be that if you decide my life is a detriment, or a toxic influence to our time, my neighborhood, or our society, you might feel it is noble to take my life. That is your truth and your truth is as valid as my desire to live. If you believe your speeding through a red light is excusable because you are late for an appointment, then your truth is as valid as the traffic laws that tell us running red lights are wrong. There is no end to where your truth can take you or what it may allow to happen.

The reality is, societies, cultures, states and nations exist in part because those who live in those societies, cultures, states, and nations have some common agreement on what is truth and what is not. It is that simple. Truth is not an esoteric topic only discussed among the intelligentsia, or as some in our time call them, “the left.”

The problem is that beginning in 2015, we had a candidate for President, who gathered a following by telling them, “You cannot trust what the media tells you. You cannot trust science, you cannot trust medicine, or academics to tell you the truth. You can only trust me.” His message was amplified by a television network which was hard wired to this candidate. Still today we don't know who is running the country, the network or the President.

Sadly, it is not alarming to the herd who follow this president.

I hearken back to a simple exchange between Pilate and Jesus when Pilate asked, “What is truth?(John 18:38)”That is the enduring question, “What is truth?”

I am a part of the old school believing in an unwavering “absolute truth.” I don't believe we necessarily can always discern that because first our brokenness before God, then our un-redeemed passions, hurts, and habits. I don't believe we can easily discern absolute truth because it asks too much of us and demands too much from us. However, I am personally convinced the unchanging God is the truth on which this whole universe is built, and continues to exist. I know there are more progressive voices out there who do not share this perspective, but that is where I am and where I stand.

Having said that, I am deeply skeptical of any one person being the fount of truth. That is especially true when I recognize this person to be seriously mentally ill living out a delusional script in which he is all knowing, all wise, and smarter than any of the experts who may have the misfortune of working for him, or around him, or simply be in disagreement with him.

I also realize while some of the great news leaders of our culture have sometimes erred and sometimes run afoul of a president or a politician, on the whole, we have depended on these bastions of journalism to help us keep our leaders accountable to the people. Unlike “us” their motives are not always pure, always benevolent, always right on. They make mistakes and some have made serious mistakes. However, that said, I trust much of the media. I trust most of the scientists, I trust most of the medical authorities who have stepped forward in this time to write and speak the truth about what is happening not just the information the “powers that be” say is truth.
I would also offer a cautionary word. In every totalitarian regime, one of the things tightly controlled is the media and what the media reports. State media is always right(because it is the party line) and every other news source is not sanctioned. It surprises me that more conspiracy theorist have not become skeptical of the FOX hard wire to DJT. Years ago when I was in college and often irreverent I would mention a preacher who basically said, “Put your mouth to the spout where the Gospel comes out” and of course, that was that particular preacher espousing that particular theology.

We have that today with Donald Trump. You can only trust what he says, and only the Fox network. All others are “fake news.”

Sadly, I am afraid he has it backwards.

No comments: