Monday, July 13, 2020

The Social Contract in Disrepair


I can only image how short my life would have been if I slid into the driver's seat of my 1964 maroon Impala SS two door hardtop and sped out of the drive way burning rubber because, “No body is going to tell me how fast I can drive my car. This is America and I can do as I please.” At 14 years old, my father would have killed me or he would have made me wish I was dead. In the same way, he did not go out in the front yard and shoot his double barreled 16 gauge shot gun—just because “he could.”

From the time of the Constitution and Bill of Rights, in America we have lived together with a “social contract.” Such a contract helped us form communities, work together, respect laws, have social services: fire; law enforcement; and various other conveniences of an ordered society.

It is as though all of that has fallen away in these latter days of rage and belligerence. When a home was quarantined years ago, we did not rise up and march because “rights were infringed upon.” We understood the risks to the community of contagious diseases.

These past few years have fanned the fires of hatred, racial division, conspiracy theories, and a flagrant disregard for the law. I am not surprised because our current President never met a law he would not break or disregard with disdain. So like poison leching into a well, it has poisoned a culture which has been given more, had more opportunities, leads the world in affluence—yet it is still not enough. We feel something for which we are entitled is being withheld from us. Sadly, the false prophets of Evangelical religious leaders are helping peddle that slop. Abandoning the church house and the prayer room, they have crowded polling booths, packed the courts with the “right kind of judges,” all the while making a mockery of “Trusting God not men.”

What the religiously judgmental and angry crowd cannot see is the parallels to first century Pharisees who were strong on the law, but weak on compassion. These ruthless crowds demanding the opening of our society, our schools, our way of life lack the basic compassion of a gnat. In the words of Dr Seuss, “Their hearts are two sizes too small.” That is a terrible indictment for a Christian. In fact, a compassion less Christian is an oxymoron.

Right now in my aging circle of friends, I have a pediatrician, more school teachers than I can count, law enforcement officers, soldiers both active duty and veterans, men and women who are retired but not useless, and children and grandchildren I dearly love. I would add to that ministry families I have known for many years or few years. I cherish each. I know social service folks who work in the trenches of helping children be safe. I know professors at the university level and all of them I respect and admire. I have siblings, nieces and nephews and great nieces and nephews, and every single one is loved and cherished. I would not give up a single one of them. I would not exercise a freedom which could put any or all of them at risk. I would not fail to do everything the scientists and doctors who really know what is going on recommend I do. I have no time for pundits, and presidents who cheated their way to the top and know absolutely nothing about everything but they can talk loud and long pontificating with their gross ignorance. They may mesmerize fools and the foolish, but it is all gibberish at the end of the day.

So, perhaps what I would encourage you to do is simply this: Take a moment today and think about the most important people in your world right now. Think about them. Think about what if the reality of COVID is real(and it is) and because of your carelessness or someone else's, you lost them to the most excruciating death to come along in a long while. Put a face on COVID that is the person you most cherish—and then ask yourself, “Is it to much to wear a mask for them?”

Wash your hands, wear your mask for others, mind the gap, and be kind.

No comments: