Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again

My family needs a church home. So, we are get acquainted with the churches in our new home town.

Last week we visited with our family's church and heard an elderly man ramble for 30 minutes. He concluded his message by singing all the verses to "Back in the Saddle Again."

It was a great spiritual moment.

Today we went to a BGCT church in the area. All I can say is from beginning to end, I found myself missing my home church in Abilene. I found myself thinking of how all of us in that fellowship had taken for granted our worship from week to week. We have extraordinary music both in variety and presentation. It was always such a joyful gathering.

Today, I was with the frozen chosen who were as joyful as a room full of people waiting on root canals. I wanted to stand and sing and clap my hands and infuse a little life into this group of believers. My quiet style of worship has been reset far beyond the experience of many rural Baptist churches.

I found myself thinking, "If we are going to heaven, why do we look like we are on a super highway to Hell? If we have life, why do we look like we are all recovering from hemorrhoid surgery?"

David danced before the Lord as he led the ark of the covenant into Jerusalem. How much more should we sing for joy as the presence of the Lord fills His people and His church?

While worship aught to be serious, it must be be overflowing with joy.

That will be the way I know it is Sunday and I am not in prison!

No comments: