Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Welcome to the Neighborhood

I got my "Welcome to Polk County" Sunday evening.

The officer who pulled me over was my new best friend. We will also be close because with the stroke of a pen I now help pay his salary. The questions proved only slightly embarassing. When he asked what I would be doing moving to Livingston, I replied, "I am going to become the 'Responsible Psychotherapist' at the prison--except this is not too responsible!"

I have had this heavy foot problem for some time, but have managed to only pay up in small communities.

I have perfected the art of the "stupid, naive, ah shucks motorist." With highway patrol it usually works pretty good. Fortunately, they are not trying to earn their way with fines. The local police are equally nice but someone has to pay for their salary.

On this dark and stormy night, a tree limb had broken off, fell on a squad car and the building. The office told me it destroyed half their department. Somehow I had the sense I was going to pay my fair share of the repair. Oh, well!

Although I did not have the good sense to see the lower speed limit sign, I did have the good sense not to make some remark about the size of the department or that it was unfortunate that one more tree branch didn't fall and prevent our conversation. That would have been rude at best and strategically unwise.

So, off we go. New job, new town, but same old habit.

I really have to work on that!

No comments: