Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The BGCT and its Phobia of Fundamentalism

When one survives the big "C" as some of us have done, there is often an interesting reaction that plays out in some folks. Some get hyper-vigilant and afraid. Every change in their body, every change in their fluids, every change, may mean a return of the dreaded disease. So, they worry, they fret, and they may worry their physicians.

Other folks look on survival as the end of a successful war campaign. The battle is over, they have won, now on to other things. They ignore signs and new symptoms, they miss their checkups, they get on with their lives often with tragic results. The cancer rebounds with a vengeance.

So, which is the BGCT? The title would seem to indicate the former while my experience says that some are very much the latter.

I believe the BGCT does have a phobia about fundamentalism. It is fueled in some measure by Texas Baptist Committed that despite all its talk of "free and faithful Baptists," I have found at points we are neither "free" nor "faithful." In order to protect the right to be different, we have to curtail the rights of some who are different. That may not make sense, but look at our whole world-wide discussion of immigration issues. Countries are becoming less free in order to protect the freedoms of those whose liberty is "being" threatened.

So, "free and faithful" has a look about it. If you are an "inerrantist"(my word processing dictionary tells me I cannot even spell the word) you are suspect. If you hold strong views of creation vs. evolution weighing down on the anti-evolution side, you are suspect. In fact, if you don't fall within a preset narrow range of views, you may be a fundamentalist. Following the dictum: "if it walks like a duck, smells like a duck. . ." And after all, it is better to be safe than sorry. So, we cut them off and tell them they have a convention go there. It reminds me of a Hispanic man who came to see me in my former church. He began the conversation with, "You don't know how hard it is for me to walk into this church." I asked why. He said, "I got saved and just wanted to worship the Lord so I went to the biggest Baptist church in town thinking I could worship there. They told me, "You have a church across town, go there!"

Such is the phobia of the BGCT. The memory of the wars, the battles, the tensions, the pressures, all haunt some of us older folks, and we had rather have less, than return to those days. The only problem is that we really don't have a lot to talk about or discuss if we all hold the same views. Perhaps that is the one thing the last administration figured out. We had become so homogeneous we could sweep away everyone but a disoriented Executive Board who hadn't learn to watch for the slight of hands about everything.

But, then there are others who believe the battle is over. The only problem is that SWBTS is turning out far more graduates( or disciples) if you please than the BGCT. And I am sorry to say, some of these graduates share a common trait. They are so convinced that doctrinal purity is foremost in the heart of God, they will lie to achieve their ends. Now, I kind of think a lying pastor, or youth minister can undercut one's ministry, but apparently, fundamentalism does not. It is the cause, not the methods that matter.

I believe there is a way to move forward without fear, without letting our guard down, and frankly without demeaning "tokenism." If (as is often said) fundamentalism is more a state of mind and a way of looking at the world, why do we continue to punish those whose opinions and loyalties vary from our own. Right now, at this very moment, even as I write, I correspond and help IMB missionaries who look to me for spiritual counsel and psychological counsel. I also volunteer my time with CBF to be one of their Member Care team(as does my wife) providing free counseling and support services for CBF missionaries overseas. We love our work and God continues to send us opportunities.

Isn't the Baptist Way, the way of furious discussion, open debate, consensus and compromise? Then why are we not sifting for that instead of checking personal views. With over 3,000 churches in 3,000 different situations, it is about time we started talking to each other about the issues that face our churches and building alliances to address those problems and issues. Frankly, I don't care if the Baptist pastor down the street is an inerrantist(he is) what I care about is that he loves Jesus, tries to support the Texas Cooperative Program, and has a heart for the neighborhood that is beating us all.

I don't go to meeting much and it is not the high price of gas. We all look alike, talk alike, and really have nothing to say to each other unless we talk about our families and what is going on with them. How very, very foolish to have it come to this.

One final note which I am sure I will live to regret. If you have solid, information about more financial maleficence in the BGCT, you are free to forward it on to me. No rumors, no punitive agendas. Solid facts and information. Why would I do this? For 34 years, I have pastored churches and done my part in the BGCT. I cannot add up how much money has gone from the churches I have served through and to the BGCT. If my folk's dollars have been more misused than already exposed, I want to know about it. I also don't ever want this to be repeated.

No comments: