Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Flying on a Lie

You do know that every time you get on a plane since 9/11 your luggage and only your luggage is supposed to be on the plane. I know because I have sat on the tarmac while the luggage hold was searched for some luggage of a person who did not make their connecting flight. No passenger--no luggage.

You also know we are experiencing one of the worst years on record for customer satisfaction, on time arrivals, and bags arriving with the passengers at their destination.

Now, think about this. I do because when the airline--any airline takes hold of my luggage, they misdirect it. Somewhere on the bag are specific instructions--misdirect this bag. It has gotten so bad when we left Prague, they sent my bag to Addison International Airport, Addison, Texas. The last time I checked, there was no international passenger service at Addison, but my bag went there, and languished there until someone realized it should not be there. It only took five days to catch up with me. Fortunately, we were at home.

Here is the question. If you can only travel with your bags, and no passenger, no bags, what happens to all the misdirected bags the airlines send to the wrong place every day? How do they get back to their owners? Do the airlines send them by FedEx?

Or, which is more likely, am I sitting on top of someone else's misdirected bag which means someone is sitting on top of my misdirected bag? Yep, you got it.

Now, our struggling airlines are going to charge us extra to mistreat our bags, shatter the contents,and send them to the wrong place.

Another service that was once free!

No comments: