Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A Sad Day

I checked Spiritual Samaria this morning only to find that David Montoya was true to his word and had taken his blog site down.

I feel some sadness, although others will, I'm sure, shout with glee. David was, in my mind a radical made more so by the corrupt times in which we live. Before we give radicals a hard time, our very nation was imagined and founded by "radicals." I don't have a problem with radicals as long as they don't shoot people and blow up things.

Now, that may put me in the minority, but I understand some of David's frustration and anger. Whether we like to acknowledge it or not, good people become more radical when other folks are not truthful and forthcoming. Instead of honest dialogs, one gets smoke and mirrors, half-truths and half-answers. When this happens with institutions that exists solely because of the gifts and contributions from generous Baptists through their churches, this is more than disconcerting, it is inexcusable.

Let me tell you how David Montoya helped me personally. First, I became aware of the Valleygate spending spree--all the while I was attempting to get a few morsels of money from the BGCT for Ministry family care. (Did I mention that while millions were being handed out in the Valley to non-existent churches and non-existent pastors, ministry families were being put on waiting lists for assistance with their counseling?)

Second, I became aware of what I had long suspicioned but refused to believe: our paid leadership was untrustworthy with our finances; our confidence; and their positions. I also learned there is an institutional response that involves all of those involved with the institution, whether paid, elected, or supportive (TBC)that attempts to change the subject. Additionally, they attempt to minimize the problem (I count the problem to be at least $30,000,000. and growing), demonize the ones who continue to raise questions, and marginalize everyone who does not seem to be on board.

Additionally, I personally experienced the heavy hand of the "Building" in the worst of times. It seemed I was like a pesky gnat that was too small to swat, but too noisy to ignore. Somehow it did not sit well with me the convention I have spent all my adult ministry with and when asked, done what I could for the task at hand, now to be treated like dirt and have rather feeble attempts made to silence me. Unfortunately, I have too much to do to become a "Montoya" but as friends and foes alike have discovered, I don't go "quietly into that good night." There was a time when the BGCT valued my writing skills and my courage against the fundamentalists. When the same skills and tenancy were turned on them, well, that became a problem. As long as the dog bites the folks you dislike, you like the dog. When the dog bites you, well that is another story. I like to call it "in house propheticism." When one finds a gem like "Montoya" we gleefully set him loose. Then when he turns his moral rectitude on the ones who cheered him on, well, that hurts. However, I personally like that. I like the person who holds his own to the same standards as he holds others with whom he may not agree. Texas Baptist Committed might learn that lesson.

Good rest my friend. Thanks for the good you did. Perhaps, your pen will return again. There is always a need for prophets but sadly, they generally end up being treated the same way!

No comments: