Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Stream of consciousness

My oldest youngest son told me yesterday my blog resembles a style of writing called "steam of consciousness." Apparently, people who write in this style go on and on with sparse use of punctuation or the rules of English.

I can live with that. After all, it is my blog, and I can write any way I want to. After all, no one is going to read it but him. It is like writing a diary and hiding it in plain sight. It's cool.

The truth is that my writing is like my life: a stream that runs where it will, when it will. I don't know that I would acknowledge to always being conscious during the process, but on life went anyway.

The fun thing about my thoughts is I never know where they will take me or where I will end up. But, that is all right, because I am not writing the great American novel--I've given up on that--it could be this stream of consciousness thing.

I have spent my life learning to follow the rules and to live by grace. Most folks call this a paradox. I call it silly. On the one hand, rules matter, on the other hand, grace trumps everything.

So, in this blog, how ever it comes out, wherever it ends up, however it sounds, it is because it is a stream, and most of the time, I am conscious.

No comments: