Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Heroes of the Week

In the Baptist Building, there are men and women who have worked through the "Middle Ages of Spiritual Darkness" that accompanied the last failed administration. Most of them showed up with the right attitude, the right spirit, never losing sight of what was really important. They are my heroes.

In every large organization one has his personal favorites--his pet causes--and I have mine. Very close to my heart is Christian Education. I guess because I was turned in the right direction by a Baptist College. While I served on the Theological Education Committee, I saw the figures that indicated that 44% of persons headed to ministry and missions across the whole SBC came through our 8 institutions. I know Dr. Bruce must had been deeply frustrated at the extravagance with which the last administration burned through money with nothing to show for it. A million here and there could have really helped a lot of our 27 institutions.

I also love the Christian Life Commission. Chronically underfunded, my personal favorites of their job description is lobbying in Austin for those who have no voice, and the Texas Baptist Offering for World Hunger. (As an aside, I can just see Governor Pretty Hair announcing his re-election bid in the middle of the ashes of the Governor's home--sort of a metaphor of what he had done to Texas.) This Commission was almost "assimilated" during the last "mis-organization." But it did survive. A few million would have really helped in this area.

And then there is the area that does not exist any more: the Minister's Counseling. The first mis-step was calling it at some point "Counseling and Psychological Services." That pretty much killed it for a lot of folks seeking help. Even at this late date, many of our conservative pastors don't believe in "psychology." Following the adage, "What can you tell a Baptist?" "Not much." Far too many pastors are still suspicious of "psychology." Anyone really competent in working with ministry families in Texas would have known that! Things sort of went downhill from there, and now we are at the point of "outsourcing" this service.

I have this running conversation in my mind about that:
The phone rings in Calcutta and is answered by "Ben," which is short for Bensharaninisishahistan. At the other end is a distraught pastor who is turning to his state convention for help. Ben speaks in that nice, clipped, British, English accent that we have come to recognize as the sound of "outsourcing."

"Ben, I need help, my wife has just left me. . " To which he is cut off.
"Sorry, John, I am not equipped to help you but give me your zip code and I shall give you great help!"

"Well, my zip code is *****."
"Sorry, John, no counselor in your area. John, I can offer you one other option. John, Kit Kat bar has great bartender good listener. John, instructions say come between 2 and 4, sit at dark end of the bar. John, ask for a large Coke Light with a shot of Ginger Ale. This drink is horrible and will tell who you are. John,you can tell your problems to him. John, park in back. If listening doesn't help, John, he will switch you over to Vodka and see that you are dumped in front of your house. Your car will be hauled away and windows smashed to give evidence for your story of being kidnapped by aliens. Do you understand, John? Call back if you need more help, John. My name is Ben and I have enjoyed serving you today."

Doesn't that just make you feel warm and fuzzy all over?

Baptist Building employees, know that you are loved and appreciated and that perhaps what lies ahead will be better than the darkness through which you have moved. You are true survivors--and I don't use that word lightly.

No comments: